Sunday, September 30, 2012

Makeup Vanity and Storage - IKEA, Muji and Ott-Lite

I live in an apartment so space is somewhat limited.  I used to store all my makeup in the bathroom but I read that this can be bad for makeup because of the humidity and heat from showers.  Plus, my bathroom counter was starting to look really cluttered and I missed the extra space.  I was planning to buy a small vanity for my bedroom but my brother is moving and he gave me his small IKEA table (similar here) with matching chair.  I took a look at it and decided why not.  Hey, it's free!

So, my bathroom used to look like this (yes, my complex was built in the 60s, hence the "retro" cabinets):

Before - very cluttered.  Train case is from Sephora.
After setting this up in a corner of my bedroom, my makeup storage and space now looks like this:

After - much more organized and bathroom counter is not cluttered
In order to turn the table into a makeshift vanity, I ordered another Muji storage unit and an Ott-Lite mirror.  The storage units are great and much cheaper than the designer acrylic cases used by Kim Kardashian.  I think each of the Muji units were $27.  The Ott-Lite can retail for $100 but I found it on Amazon.com for $60.  The brush holder is also from Amazon.com and the lipstick display case was a gift from a friend.  I believe it's Bobbi Brown but it's about 10 years old.

The Ott-Lite mirror is going to take a little while to get used to.  I read several reviews that said it provided the most natural light.  I think it's bright!  I am also not used to doing my makeup in a mirror where I can see so much detail due to the light and the ability to move it so close to my face.  Since I'm in my 30s, I really could do without seeing everything.  Kidding (mostly), it's fantastic!  I realized I was not blending my foundation as well as I thought.  I can also pluck every stray little hair on my eyebrows since the other side of the mirror flips to 5x magnification.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the outcome and I am glad my makeup has a new home...away from bathroom steam.

Disclaimer:  I am not affiliated with any of the companies mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment